A Horry County Insurance Agent who serves YOU...

Need Help?


1515 Hwy 17 S,

North Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

08:00 am – 05:00 pm

Monday - Friday

Get a Quote

Homeowners Insurance

South Caroilna Homeowners Insurance

Wind, Flood, Hail Insurances

Your home is the most important investment you will ever make, and making sure your home has the best insurance may be the most important decision you will ever make.

While the east coast doesn't have earthquakes like the west coast, we do have hurricanes and tornados. Fires can happen from faulty wiring or a lightning strike. If you live in a low-lying area, your home may be flooded with a heavy rain.

Regular SC homeowners insurance or NC homeowners insurance will usually cover your home for wind damage, fire, and theft. However, in certain zones near the ocean along the coast, wind and hail coverage will have to be purchased separately through state funded Wind and Hail Insurance. Flood insurance also has to be purchased separately, but is equally important - especially in coastal or low-lying areas where flooding is even remotely possible.

Bundling Insurances Saves Money

Always remember that combining your auto, home, and other coverages with the same insurance company will provide substantial savings on all.

If you live in another state and buy property at the coast, the national company we represent will be in your state as well. You can have your primary insurance at home and protect your property here with us as your agent - and still get the discounts for mulitple policies.  ASK US ABOUT IT!

If you have questions about your coverage or are looking for a cheaper insurance that still provides excellent service, we would love to discuss it with you.   Contact Us and let us help you decide what coverage you may need. 

Remember, proper insurance protection requires constant vigilance. Did you know that 37% of unpaid claims result from perilous GAPS in insurance coverage?

Simple tips to help make your house an uninviting target for thieves

Fusce ornare mi vel risus porttitor dignissim. Nunc eget risus at ipsum blandit ornare vel sed velit . Proin gravida arcu nisl, a dignissim mauris placerat id. Vivamus interdum urna at sapien varius elementum. Suspendisse ut mi felis et interdum libero lacinia vel. Aenean elementum odio ut lorem cursus, eu auctor magna pellentesque.

  • Illuminate your home's entry points (doors and windows) and make sure the lights shine on the house, not in the eyes of any "observers."

  • Don't give burglars hiding places Trim bushes away from doors and windows, and at least two feet up from the ground.

  • Participate in or organize a neighborhood watch program Neighbors help keep an eye out when you aren't able.

  • A decal placed on a window near the entry points of your home will convey to burglars that they possibly are being watched.

Frequently asked questions about Homeowners Insurance in Myrtle Beach

You'll find our growing list of our most popular questions about South Caroilna homeowners insurance.

What is Wind and Hail Insurance?

Wind is usually a covered peril in any homeowners or property policy. The only time it is not is when it is specifically excluded due to the property being located inside the SC or NC "Wind Pool". (Hurricane prone areas) The wind pool is an area designated by the state where insurance companies can exclude wind damage coverage from a property policy, and the insured can purchase a separate "wind" policy through the state to cover for possible wind or hurricane damage. This policy is sold through your current insurance agent. As an example, in Horry County, SC, the boundary for the wind pool is any property located on the East side of Hwy 31. You can check to see if your property is located in the wind pool by going to www.SCWind.com. 

Where exactly are the zones for wind and hail insurance?

The "Wind Pool" here in SC was expanded in 2007. This is done on the recommendation of the Department of Insurance, but must be approved by the State Legislature. Previously in Horry County, the line ran along Hwy 17 Business. This line was moved from Hwy 17 business to the intracoastal waterway. So currently, Wind Pool Zone 1 in Horry county runs from the Intracoastal Waterway to the ocean. Zone 2 runs from the Waterway to Highway 31. In Horry county, insurance companies can exclude wind from a property insurance policy if the property is located inside Zone 1 or Zone 2 of the wind pool. You can check to see if your property is in the wind pool by going to the above state website and checking your eligbility, or by calling my office. (843) 249-6317

Why doesn’t homeowners insurance cover flood damage?

To my knowledge, no homeowners policy in SC or NC covers flood damage. The main reason is that the Federal Government provides a policy through the National Flood Insurance Program. This policy is subsidized by the taxpayers and therefore less expensive than an equal policy that any insurance company would offer. You can purchase a flood policy through a local agent. It should be the same premium anywhere you go if equal coverage is quoted and the quote is prepared correctly.

For more information, see our page on National Flood Insurance

For flood insurance, what is the critera for X and Preferred X? The cost diffence is substantial.

The flood zone designated as "X" is actually the only preferred flood zone that I am aware of. If your property is located in an "X" zone, it is considered at lower risk for flooding and therefore the premium is much cheaper. 

If in an "X" zone, you can purchase flood insurance without any further documentation. Your agent should be able to do a flood zone determination if you are not sure what zone your property is in. If it turns out that it is in a zone other than "X" such as "A", "AE", or "VE", you will need a surveyor to complete an elevation certificate in order to get an accurate quote on flood insurance.

3 things to remember about Flood Insurance

  • Flood insurance is offered through the National Flood Insurance Program and should be the same price through any agent, provided it is rated correctly.   Always deal with an agent who writes a lot of flood insurance. They will know the process and will be able to advise you correctly.

  • 35 to 40% of all flood claims come from "X" flood zones! Just because someone is in an "X" zone does not mean they do not need flood insurance.

  • Flood is not covered by homeowners insurance. So, plan accordingly.

My vacant lot next door has a storage building on it. Does my Homeowners Insurance cover it? 

Most homeowners policies DO extend liability coverage to vacant lots. Unfortunately, any buildings that are not on your residence premises would not be covered.